- Applicants must be undergoing active treatment for a blood cancer (leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma) at the Texas Medical Center (TMC). Active treatment” means that the patient must have at least a weekly appointment at the treatment center in Houston.
- Applicant’s permanent home address must be greater than 50 miles from the Texas Medical Center (TMC) or greater than 25 miles for stem cell transplant patients with doctor’s orders to be within 15 minutes of the hospital.
- Apartments are available for a minimum of 2 WEEKS and a maximum of 3 MONTHS.
- THE ONLY exception for the 3 month maximum stay is if the patient has had an allogenic stem cell transplant within 30 days of moving into Halo House. A letter from the doctor or social worker confirming the allogenic stem cell transplant timing is required. Once the letter is received, the maximum permitted stay is 4 MONTHS.
- A caregiver must reside at the apartment with the patient at all times.
If you have already submitted an application for housing and want to update your “need date” please call the office at (713)665-8852 or send an email to mail@HaloHouseFoundation.org
“Wait List” Information:
- After your application is submitted you will be added to our “wait list,” and you will receive an email confirmation within 4 days from one of our volunteers.
- Your email confirmation will provide suggestions for additional housing options. It is impossible to know exactly when a Halo House apartment will be available, therefore we strongly encourage you to get on wait lists for other organizations.
- Because of the overwhelming need for assisted housing, it may take about 2 weeks to 2 months before an apartment is available.
- Please do NOT submit a new application to update your need date, but instead please call the office at (713)665-8852 or send an email to mail@HaloHouseFoundation.org letting us know the patient’s full name and advising us of the new need date.
Halo House reserves the right to refuse housing to any person who was convicted of a criminal offense, or to any person who has been known to break the rules of other charitable Houston organizations who provide housing for patients. Requests sent to Halo House are kept confidential, and by submitting this application, applicant agrees to the release of this information to Halo House staff or volunteers for purposes of placing an applicant in an apartment, and following up with our guests.