Applicants must be undergoing active treatment for a blood cancer (leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma) at the Texas Medical Center (TMC).
- Applicant’s permanent home address must be greater than 50 miles from the Texas Medical Center (TMC) or greater than 25 miles for stem cell transplant patients with doctor’s orders to be within 15 minutes of the hospital.
- Apartments are available for a minimum of two weeks. The maximum length of stay is three months, with one exception. A four month total stay is permitted only if the patient has had an allogenic stem cell transplant within 30 days prior to the start date shown on their Halo House apartment lease, or if the patient will begin an allogenic stem cell transplant during their stay at Halo House. In both cases, a letter from the doctor or social worker confirming the allogenic stem cell transplant timing is required. The maximum permitted stay will then be four months.
If you have already submitted an application for housing and want to update your “need date” please send an email to us at mail@HaloHouseFoundation.org
“Wait List” Information:
- After your application is submitted you will be added to our “wait list,” and you will receive an email confirmation within 4 days from one of our volunteers.
- Your email confirmation will provide suggestions for additional housing options. Because it is impossible to know exactly when a Halo House apartment will be available, we strongly encourage you to get on wait lists for other organizations.
- Because of the overwhelming need for assisted housing, it may take about three months before an apartment is available.
- Please do NOT submit a new application to update your need date, but instead please send an email to mail@HaloHouseFoundation.org letting us know the patient’s full name and advising us of the new need date.
No smoking and no pets are permitted in the apartment at any time. Halo House reserves the right to refuse housing to patients who have a criminal background. Requests sent to Halo House are kept confidential, and by submitting this application, applicant agrees to the release of this information to Halo House staff or volunteers for purposes of placing an applicant in an apartment, and following up with our guests.
Fees: Apartments are provided to eligible patients at a rate of $25/day for a one bedroom apartment, and $35/day for a two bedroom apartment. There is a one-time cleaning fee of $85, a security deposit of $100.
If you print out the application form, please complete all information, and fax it to us at 713-391-8365. Please provide an email address so that we many confirm receipt of your application. Apartments will be filled based on earliest application date matched with “need date”.